Oli's old stuff

Tinkering with retro and electronics

Jul 25, 2016 - 6 minute read - oldcode

Manta-X Code (Part 2)

Removing PhysicsFS I wanted to get the game running so I thought I’d go and remove the PhysicsFS dependency. I didn’t really need it at this point and can’t be bothered with another 3rd party library for the sake of it. Turns out it was used in 3 classes: ModelManager (for loading Milkshape3d models) ShipClassManager (for loading XML data about the ships) TGAImage (for loading texture data) Each of these essentially did the same series of operations:

Jul 24, 2016 - 5 minute read -

Manta-X Code

Manta-X: Toe in the code Last post I talked about the overall folder and asset composition of a very old game codebase I found of mine (from 2004). It looks like when I got it compiling back in 2014, I’d ported it to Visual Studio 2013, however the IDE is now crashing so I will use 2012 for now. After more time than it should have taken, I configured cloc to skip the deps and dist folders, we have the following counts:

Jul 23, 2016 - 4 minute read - oldcode

Manta-X Archaeology

Manta-X: Uncovering a relic I’ve been digging around in my visualstudio.com projects and came across Manta-X Game. This was a real blast from the past for me - a game dev project that I was working on back in 2004. The goal of Manta-X was to essentially recreate the Andrew Braybrook C64 classic Uridium for the PC. I remember the ambition was to have 3d graphics instead of sprites, so I was using OpenGL.